History of the Ely O'Carroll Territory or Ancient Ormond. Situated in North Tipperary and North-Western King's County Ireland. Dublin; Gill, 1915. First edition. Pp xviii, 644. With 30 illustrations. Smooth green buckram, title lettered in gilt to spine. Cloth worn along spine hinges, otherwise a very good copy.
The work describes in detail the parishes of Ely O'Carroll and Ormond, that is the portion of the Killaloe diocese which lies east of the Shannon. In the first section the area in general, including south Ely, is dealt with: saints, families, traditions, books, rivers, mountains and towns are noted and a detailed history of the O'Carrol's given. The book ends with the parish Glesson knew so well, Kyle (in Laois) and Knock (in Tipperary). Some eighteen parishes are documented; it is this individual attention that has made the book so popular and valuable. Each of the chapters ends with a list of the parish priests. A facsimile edition in two volumes was published in 1982.