Fifty Years of Liberty Hall (1959)
Book ID: 65603
Fifty Years of Liberty Hall. Golden Jubilee of the Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union 1909-1959. Dublin: Three Candles, 1959. Pp, 94. Pictorial wrappers illustrated by Harry Kernoff. Light wear to wrappers otherwise a nice bright copy.
Illustrated throughout with plates.
Liberty Hall is the headquarters of SIPTU, Ireland’s largest trade union, formerly known as the Irish Transport and General Workers Union (ITGWU). It became an arsenal of the ideas and the material of revolution in its early days. James Connolly installed a printing press in Liberty Hall in 1915, & founded ‘The Liberty Press’ which published a new insurrectionist series of the weekly ‘The Workers’ Republic’ in succession to ‘The Irish Worker’ which had been suppressed in December, 1914.
It was in the Hall that Connolly oversaw the printing of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic the night before the 1916 Rising began.