History of The City of Dublin. From the Earliest Accounts (1818)
Book ID: 66694
History of The City of Dublin. From the Earliest Accounts, to the Present Time; Containing its Annals, Antiquities, Ecclesiastical History, and Charters; Its Present Extent, Public Buildings, Schools, Institutions, to which are added, Biographical Notes of Eminent Men, and Copious Appendices of its Population, Revenue, Commerce, and Literature. In Two Volumes. Illustrated with Numerous Plates, Plans, and Maps. London: T. Cadell, 1818. First Edition. Set rebound in quarter leather & cloth boards, with title labels to spines. All plates present & bound-in following title pages to volumes (frontispiece maps bound as called for). Covers a little dull, contents in fine bright condition.
Illustrated with two frontispiece maps (one folded), a large folded map of the Grand & Royal canals & one of Botanic Gardens, plate of Original Charter of Dublin, map of Dublin Bay, plate showing various Irish Type faces, & twenty-two engraved views of the principal buildings in the city. With occasional text drawings throughout.
The Rev. James Whitelaw, statistician and philanthropist, was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated in 1771. His most important service was his census of the City of Dublin, carried out 1798-1805. His most important published work was this History of Dublin, in which he collaborated with John Warburton, Keeper of the Records in Dublin Castle. Neither lived to see its publication which was completed by Robert Walsh, at that time Curate of Finglas, Co. Dublin.