The Diocese of Limerick. Ancient and Medieval. Three Volumes (1906-1938)
Book ID: 66353
The Diocese of Limerick. Ancient and Medieval. In the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries. From 1691 to the Present Time. Dublin, Browne and Nolan, 1906-27-38. Three Volumes. Pp (1) xxiv, 468, (2, errata leaf), (2, blank), 72 (adverts); (2) xii, 569; (3) xii, 651, (2, blank), (1). Original green cloth with gilt title & crest. Light shelf-wear, otherwise a nice bright set.
The standard work on the diocese of Limerick which includes most of County Limerick and a portion of County Clare.
From an early age John Begley showed a great aptitude for learning and he was regarded as the outstanding scholar at the local national school. It was while working as a curate in Saint Munchin’s parish that the first volume of his work, relating to the ancient and medieval period was published in 1906. The preface was written by Edward O’Dwyer, then Bishop of Limerick, who was not noted for being easily impressed but in the case of Father Begley’s work he was fulsome in his praise. 1927 saw the publication of the second volume of his work with the finial volume appearing in 1938. On the account of the fact that this volume did not sell nearly as well as the previous two volumes, Archbishop Begley was forced to sell off much of his fine library of books to pay for its printing. The National University of Ireland awarded him a Doctorate of Literature in 1939.
Out of stock