The Dioceses of Kildare and Leighlin (1883-1886)
Book ID: 64657
Collections relating to the Dioceses of Kildare and Leighlin. Dublin: James Duffy, [1883-1886]. Three volumes: First, Second and Third Series. Pp (1) viii, 340, illustrated with eight plates; (2) Pp vi, 358, frontispiece plate; (3) Pp iv, 419, Publisher’s green cloth boards, spines lettered in gilt, covers ruled in blind, crest stamped in gilt to upper covers. A fine bright set.
Frontispiece portrait and seven plates to volume one, with frontispiece plates to volumes 2 & 3.
A history of the diocese from early Christian times in Ireland right up to the mid to late 19th century. Spanning fourteen hundred years from the time of St. Conlaeth and St. Laserian, reputedly the founders of Christian community in the region, to their ‘venerated successor’ the Right Rev. James Walshe. Bishop Walshe served as bishop of the diocese from 1856 to 1888 at the time of writing.