The History, Architecture, and Antiquities of the Cathedral Church of St Canice, Kilkenny
Book ID: 42321
The History, Architecture, and Antiquities of the Cathedral Church of St. Canice, Kilkenny. By the Rev. James Graves, A.B., and John G. Augustus Prim. Dublin : Hodges, Smith, & co., 1857. Pp xii, 360, with 56 illustration (nine plates -two in colour, one table), and wood-engraved illustrations on text pages throughout. Includes bibliographical notes and references; index. Original brown cloth, upper & lower covers elaborately decorated in blind, title in gilt on spine. Cloth faded, corners bumped, internally some occasional light browning to pages, but generally a very good copy of this scarce work. The 13th century cathedral of St Canice is the second longest cathedral in Ireland . The site on which the cathedral stands has been a site of Christian worship since the 6th century. The cathedral contains some of the finest 16th century monuments in Ireland . The memorials stretch right across the social spectrum from the great figures of the house of Ormonde to the humble shoemaker and carpenter. Beside the cathedral stands the 9th century round tower. It may once have been a watchtower and a refuge and it can be climbed to give an unsurpassing vantage point to view the city of Kilkenny and the surrounding countryside.
Out of stock