The Parish of Taney. A History of Dundrum (1895)
Author: Francis Elrington Ball & Everad Hamilton
Book ID: 66335
The Parish of Taney. A History of Dundrum, Near Dublin, and its Neighbourhood. By Francis Elrington Ball & Everard Hamilton. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1895. First Edition. Pp vii, 256. Frontispiece plate. Green cloth boards, title in gilt to spine. A nice bright copy.
Inscribed by E. Hamilton on the half-title: “To Rev. William Monk Gibbon, Rector of Taney, 1901”
According to tradition St. Nahi established a monastic centre on the site of the old St. Nahi’s Church in Dundrum. ‘Taney’ the name of the parish, may have been derived from the Gaelic Teach Nahi which means ‘Nahi’s house’ or Tamhnach which means ‘a green field.’ Between the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the size of the parish increased & the new Christ Church was completed by 1818. It remains today one of the largest Church of Ireland communities in the Republic of Ireland.
Rev. Canon William Monk Gibbon was father of the prolific writer & poet, Monk Gibbon, known as “The Grand Old Man of Irish Letters.”