A Second Collection of Miscellanies. First Collected Edition (1720)
Book ID: 61909
A Second Collection of Miscellanies. Five Parts In One Volume. First Collected Edition, (by E. Curll) for J. Roberts, 1720. Woodcut ornamental head & tailpieces. Bound in late nineteenth-century panelled calf by Tout, all edged gilt, neatly rebacked preserving old gilt spine with red roan label, corners repaired. Lacking half-title & general title at beginning, also lacking 16 pages of advertisements at end. A handsome bright copy. [Rothschild 2070; Teerink 16]. Rare unauthorized edition being a made-up volume of pamphlets reissued by Curll with a new half-title and general title (not present here) and in varying order. Comprising:
1. Letters, Poems, and Tales: Amorous, Satyrical, and Gallant. Pp 93. An Epistle to the Right Honourable Joseph Addison, Esq., First Edition. Pp 20; lacking 16 pages advertisements at end, for E. Curll, 1718. [Teerink 610],
2. A Defence of English Commodities. Being an Answer to the Proposal for the Universal Use of Irish Manufactures. First London Edition. J. Roberts, 1720. Pp 28. [Teerink 614].
3. The Swearer’s Bank; or, Parliamentary Security for Establishing a New Bank in Ireland…[with] An Essay upon English Bubbles, by Thomas Hope, Esq. First London Edition, half-title, J. Roberts, 1720. Pp viii, 19. [Teerink 616],
4. [Sheridan (Thomas) with possible contributions by Swift] Ars Pun-ica, sive Flos Linguarum. The Art of Punning. Second Edition. J. Roberts, 1719. Pp , xiii, 27, . [Teerink 895]
5. The Right of Precedence between Physicians and Civilians Enquir’d into. First London Edition, second issue, half-title. J. Roberts, 1720. Pp 32. Swift attribution ‘very doubtful.’ [Teerink 899]