Anna Livia Plurabelle. Limited Signed Edition (1928)
Author: James Joyce
Book ID: 66720
Anna Livia Plurabelle. With a Preface by Padraic Colum. Published New York: Crosby Gaige, October 1928. First Edition, Limited Issue. Bound in publisher’s brown cloth, front cover blind stamped with border of three rules in centre, gilt-stamped inverted triangle of three rules. Paper-clip impression to top margin of endpapers, otherwise a very good copy, housed in custom made collector’s box.
Limited Edition of 800 Copies, Signed by the Author. This copy inscribed on rear endpaper: ‘Naming of Anna Livia Bridge, Chapelizod. Bloomsday 16. 6. 1982. AF Lord Mayor of Dublin.”
The Anna Livia Bridge -formerly Chapelizod Bridge – officially came into being on Bloomsday, June 16th 1982, the centenary of the birth of James Joyce. The bridge is mentioned in Joyce’s Dubliners, as one of his “Dubliners” – James Duffy – lives in Chapelizod and visits a public house near the bridge. Anna Livia is the name given to the personification of the River Liffey, and was a principal character in Joyce’s Finnegans Wake – her final monologue recalls her life as she walks along the Liffey.
Nice association copy, commemorating the centenary of Joyce’s birth 2nd February, 1882 & the first edition of this most celebrated fragment from ‘Finnegans Wake.’
[Slocum and Cahoon Joyce A32].