An Historical Account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern. By The Rev. James O'Laverty, Parish Priest of Hollywood. Dublin: James Duffy,M.H. Gill; 1878,1880,1884,1887,1895. Green cloth bevel-edge boards, spines lettered in gilt, image of Round Tower stamped in gilt to upper boards. A very good set.
A Complete set of Five Volumes, Including the Finial Volume in the Series Entitled: The Bishops of Down and Connor.'
Parish priest of Holywood, County Down, for over thirty years until the time of his death, Rev. O'Laverty wrote many articles for the Ulster Journal of Archaeology. From 1878 until 1887 he produced this definitive Historical Account of Down and Connor which he acknowledged as owing a debt to the work of Bishop William Reeves. Each of the volumes (1-4) is complete in itself, and treats of a group of Parishes in the Diocese which are adjacent to one another. Each volume contains the General History of the locality from the earliest ages, the Antiquities, the Legends, and Stories of the Irish Bards, the Genealogical Accounts of the ancient families, the Formation and Transmission of the most of the present estates, and other historical associations connected with the portion of the county to which it refers. The Fifth volume is a biographical listing of the Bishops of the Dioceses.