The Diocese of Killaloe. From the Reformation to the Close of the Eighteenth Century. With an Appendix. By the Reverend Phillip Dwyer. Vicar of Drumcliffe and Canon of Dysert, in the Diocese of Killaloe. Dublin: Figgis, 1878. First Edition. Pp, 602. Illustrated with a frontispiece plate of the 'Arms of the Bishops of Killaloe,' a folded map of the Diocese and several plates in the text. Light brown cloth boards, diagonal lines embossed in black to upper cover, title in gilt to spine. Light shelf wear, contents in good condition.
At the time of publication the Diocese of Killaloe encompassed all of county Clare, portions of county Galway, Tipperary and Limerick as well as the ancient Diocese of Roscrea, to which was added the Diocese of Kilfenora and is the second largest Diocese in Ireland. The author's stated aim of the publication was to trace the 'internal and external state of the Church within the Diocese of Killaloe.'